Tuesday, April 24, 2012

4-24-2012 What makes an apartment a home?

I was wondering today what picture to take when my eyes were caught by my apron and the bright blue crocheted bag holder hanging between the refrigerator and the coffee pot. I remember putting my apron up on a special hook because it was so bright and pretty and I loved it. Then I crocheted this bag to hold my plastic bread bags and make them easier to store and get to--one of the first items I've ever made for myself and not for someone else, by the by.

 I realized that I put these things up and they become a part of my environment and I stop "seeing" them. Yet they define one way I make my apartment a home instead of a place I rent because I need a roof over my head. The special little touches sit among the clutter that builds up with life and living and in its own way it becomes an artistic grouping of life. My life...lots of clutter from living with accents of artistry.

I am reminded of the book "Romancing the Ordinary" by Sarah Ban Breathnach. For me, these little touches put romance in the ordinary. Taking pictures every day has helped me to really see the special things that have blended into ordinary and the seeing--the acknowledgement--brings back the romance.




2 comments:

  1. I haven't read "Romancing the Ordinary", but I heard it is good. I was so caught up by the way she wrote "Simple Abundance”, so I think that book's a pretty good read too. Happiness and satisfaction are what make an apartment a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kate! I loved Simple Abundance also! I totally agree--happiness and satisfaction are what make a home, regardless of its size or location. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete