Saturday, April 10, 2010

Occupation??

So, I'm on unemployment now. I can't tell you how long it has been since I even qualified for unemployment...

I get form in the mail and they tell me I have to come see them and fill out this questionnaire. Cool! 'Cause I have a whole lot of questions and am not having much luck getting them answered.

First question on the questionnaire:
List your usual occupation/ Length of experience/ Last rate of pay

Usual occupation? Length of experience? Okay … well, I’ve been working as an accounting clerk for about 2-1/2 to 3 years, yet that isn’t my “usual” occupation. My usual occupation is homemaker.

So I wrote:
List your usual occupation /Length of experience /Last rate of pay
Accounting Clerk  -- 3 years  -- $18.00 an hour
Homemaker  -- 26 years  --  $ 0.00 an hour

Now I know that isn’t what they really asking and yet…yet it is the truth and they can do with the truth what they will. Perhaps it will serve to make a point. I am exhausted from attempting to be something that I am not so that I can pay my bills and not live on credit because I can’t find a job that will pay me for my skills.

One of those other questions was what kind of job was I seeking. I wrote that I was seeking a job in the field I have a degree in--Human Services.

I obtained a degree in human services because that is where my skills are. I have a wealth of experience and education in human services. I just haven’t been paid for it since 1982 or thereabouts. When I was putting those jobs on my resume (before bookkeeping) I had to laugh, or cry, because the people who an employer might have called for references and recommendation are no longer around. The facility I worked in is no longer around. Even the supervisor I worked under with the State Department of Mental Health is no longer around.

I’m in a real “don’t mess with me” mood about employment and experience and all that stuff today. I’m fired up. They want to make sure I know how to look for a job. I know how to look for a job. I was looking for a job before most of them were out of diapers.

What I want to know from the Employment Development Department is this—how do you get someone to hire you for the job you are good at and trained at. So yes, I put down my usual occupation as homemaker because that is where my experience lies and it makes a huge point that cannot be ignored.

2 comments:

  1. It's funny TK...when they ask you what your job is and you tell the truth they don't want to give you unemployment benifits...take me for instance. Up until 10 yrs ago I was a Teacher...I taught first in headstart and then preschool and finally kindergarten. I moved often because of my husband being a Marine and never once did they tell me that I qualified for unemployment. Now as you know I have back issues and really don't qualify for disabilities even if my doctor deems me unable to ever work again because for the last 10 yrs I have been a homemaker. When I get my statements from Social Security about my beifits it basically says I will get about $200 a month...who can live off that? I wish they recognized homemaker as a real job because I sure do a lot of work every day with no pay except the love of my family which is all that matters to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reba, you are so right! Before I started working again I didn't even qualify for social security because I didn't have enough "points". I had worked and put my money into social security and then I got pregnant and became a mother and homemaker.

    As homemakers, we not only do a whole lot of work, valuable work--we also raise the next generation.

    When I started doing job interview again, they would ask me--well, what have you do you are most proud of. The responses I wanted to give were: 1) I raised a child, and 2) I build a house. And then I wanted say--and what have you done?

    ReplyDelete